Saturday, May 26, 2007

harry


i promised betsy a post about harry, one of my favorite people from puerto rico. :)

many of the people in anna's life are like characters out of a book, and harry is definitely no exception. harry is blind and also has a little bit of difficulty getting around, and so he walks with a cane. he attends church at toa baja christian church with anna and about a year ago, lost his wife. harry's a sassy old man. there was one time when we were sitting at church, he walked in the room and said in his new york/new jersey accent, "hey guys! i'm here! the party can start now!" he's always giving robert a hard time, especially while robert is preaching - harry makes no bones about adding his own commentary.

my favorite thing about harry is his moves. yes, that's right, his dance moves. at 80-something, he can still work it. harry can't see a thing. nothing. so during worship, until he has heard a song enough times to memorize it, he is unable to sing because he can't read the words on the screen. but oh can harry dance. his hands are in the air, waving back and forth and he's dancing all around. (sometimes even in front of the projector so no one else can see the words either!)

it warmed my heart to see his old bones dancing for Jesus. and he didn't care a bit who was watching.

1 comment:

Keeerah said...

These stories are precious. I'm glad Puerto Rico was a great time for you, or at least I think it was from your posts. Congratulations on finishing thesis things. I know the work you put into this year, and I'm glad to see you were rewarded with some amazing times. I wanted to say that I miss your face, and I'm thankful for the friendship I was able to have with you while at Johnson. I hope we stay in touch a little, but being over seas has opened my eyes to the reality of life. I wanted you to know that your friendship was special to me! Love ya Penz!